Changes By Choice is a collaborative of independent medical and mental health practitioners providing evidence-based treatment for substance abuse, addiction, and other compulsive behaviors.
Our approach is grounded in motivational enhancement theory, seeing motivation for change as an internal state that can be positively influenced by a respectful and supportive therapeutic relationship.
Treatment goals and components are negotiated and individually tailored. Clients can choose from a range of options according to their preferences and the nature of their difficulties.
Medications such as Suboxone (buprenorphine) for the treatment of opiate dependence; Campral (acamprosate), ReVia (naltrexone) and Antabuse (disulfiram) for alcohol dependence; and Chantrix (varenicline tartrate) for nicotine dependence may be combined with counseling to facilitate detoxification, reduce craving, and ease withdrawal, enabling clients to better manage stress and make the life changes needed to support recovery.
Counseling is provided in individual, couples/family, and group formats. Formal group therapy helps clients decrease feelings of shame and isolation, learn effective coping skills, and find hope in the examples and encouragement of others.
Problems treated include:
- Abuse or dependence on alcohol or other drugs such as heroin, cocaine and marijuana
- Prescription drug addiction including abuse of Xanax or Klonopin
- Overuse of medications used for chronic pain management
- Opiates/narcotics such as Oxycontin, Percocet, Vicodin, oxycodone, hydrocodone and methadone
- Non-chemical compulsions such as Internet addiction, sex addiction, compulsive spending or eating
- Issues of later recovery including healing from trauma
Call (919) 416-4800 or email today for an initial appointment. Our fax number is (919) 416-6103.
Changes by Choice is located in a restored 1920s mill house near the Duke East campus, just off the Durham Freeway (SR 147) and near I-85. Our office is convenient to Chapel Hill, Hillsborough, Mebane, Roxboro, Oxford, Wake Forest, Raleigh, Cary, and RTP.